Sunday
Jun262011

Daily News - 24th and 25th June 2011 - Journey, Star Wars: Galaxies and Video Game Censorship

PSN Game Journey To Get "Very Limited" Multiplayer Beta

ThatGameCompany, the guys behind Flow and Flower, are getting near to releasing their next game Journey, a game about a little guy who goes on a journey (see what they've done there?) and, well, that's it. As with all ThatGameCompany games, the parameters of actually completing the game are basically non-existent, their games aren't about reaching a goal, they're about enjoying the game itself. They're not for everyone, but they're unlike anything else out there. If you're curious about what their games are like then maybe you should try and get into the beta for Journey. It won't be easy though, because according to the company's Twitter feed it's going to be VERY limited. If you get in then you're unbelievably lucky, and I am jealous of you. You bastard.

The game looks insanely pretty, and I want it in my eye holes!

"Galaxy-Ending In-Game Event" To Accompany Star Wars Galaxies Shutting Down

Yes, all you dozens of Star Wars Galaxy players are soon to be without an online Star Wars themed haven (apart from Old Republic ofcourse...) so take it all in now! Because as of December 15th the Star Wars Galaxies servers will be shutting down forever. The company said:

"The shutdown of SWG is a very difficult decision, but SOE and LucasArts have mutually agreed that the end of 2011 is the appropriate time to end the game. We are extremely grateful to all of the SWG fans. We have had the rare opportunity to host one of the most dedicated and passionate online gaming communities and we truly appreciate the support we’ve received from each and every one of you over the course of the past eight years."

Not a very popular MMO, probably best described as a failed experiment, Ijust hope Bioware have learnt enough since galaxies to make Old Republic work, because that's an MMO I have high hopes for.

typical MMO scene. Pretty much the reason I love MMO's!

Huge American Court Case On Monday Will Decide The Future Of Video Games

Are video games too violent? Should they be granted freedom of speech, or should they be sensored? Well, the courts in America will decide these points on Monday in the case Brown Vs EMA. The Entertainment Software Association will argue the case for games retaining some semblance of free speech whilst California's Governor Jerry Brown argues againt video games a medium that deserves to depict whatever it wants. Obviously this is a huge deal, with massive repercussions but there's no point in me giving you any extra information when Giant Bomb's Patrick Klepek did such a fantastic job in letting you know why this case is so huge. I would recommed everybody give the article a look, it breaks the issue right down to it's base and is an interesting read to boot.

Giant Bomb - If You Don't Know About Brown V. EMA, You Should

Scenes like this are what caused the age-old court case... but they're also what makes video games so much fun