Wednesday
Nov212012

Mirror's Edge 2 Is A Thing That's Happening

In response to claims that Dice was working on becoming more than a "Battlefield factory". The statement was echoed by Ben Cousins, a former Dice employee, who gave insights via an interview with OXM on Dice's goals:

"It is general knowledge in the Stockholm dev scene that Mirror's Edge 2 is in production at DICE. It's important for us [to take creative risks] - the DICE guys are roughly 300 people in the Stockholm studio; not all of them are working on Battlefield things, and that's intentional, because we don't want to become a Battlefield factory."

"The minute we start saying, 'You're going to make a Battlefield game for the rest of your life', they're going to go some place else. So for them to make great Battlefield games there need to be other things for them to do as well. That's why we have people who move around quite a bit. And then obviously we have a boatload of people that just want to make Battlefield because they love it."

"Same thing with the team in San Francisco that are making Dead Space. It's a stunning team and they're passionate about what they do, and they love making Dead Space. Then the answer's, 'Well, then make Dead Space'. Then we have to figure out how to sell it and make it successful."

A very understated confirmation of Mirror's Edge 2, but confirmation nonetheless! That'll make a few people I know very happy.

Somewhat of a cult classic, the original Mirror's Edge was flawed but good in a lot of ways, a sequel could potentially be something really special.

"It is general knowledge in the Stockholm dev scene that Mirror's Edge 2 is in production at DICE," he said on Twitter.

The comment was in response to an interview by EA Games vice-president Patrick Soderlund, saying that DICE is more than just a "Battlefield factory" and is working on other projects.

"It's also important for us [to take creative risks] - the DICE guys are roughly 300 people in the Stockholm studio; not all of them are working on Battlefield things, and that's intentional, because we don't want to become a Battlefield factory," he told OXM.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a439860/mirrors-edge-2-in-development-at-dice-says-former-battlefield-lead.html#ixzz2CteNtwp3