Saturday
Apr282012

Daily News - 28th April 2012 - Portal 2 PC DLC Incoming, Sony's Smash Bros Rip-off and Mass Effect PS3 Events Are On

"Perpetual Testing Initiative" Coming To Portal 2 Soon

Portal 2. Those 2 words alone should be enough to stir excitement in even the most cold-hearted video game fan. The first of Valve's free DLCs for the game was months ago and was a few new levels for the game's co-op, so it's fair to say this can be considered the first REAL DLC for the game. The Perpetual Testing Initiative is, in essence, a map editor for the game, presented in the style of the game's various elevator vignettes (the "Animal King Takeover" one being a personal favourite of mine). It's hard for me to wrap my head around the brain power it would require to construct an ingenious Portal puzzle, but tools like this aren't built so I can come up with my own puzzles, they're built so physics students, and amateur game designers can cut their teeth and design something truly impressive for the game's community, and when the game you're designing your custom puzzle for is Portal 2, you get to flex your gray matter in ways other games simply can't match. The map editor is due for PC on May 8th, but not on consoles. Sad face.

This is the actual interface for the Map Editor. Brill. I. Ant.

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale Is The Super Smash Bros. Clone You Never Wanted

Oh dear. A few days ago word got out that Sony's rumoured Smash Bros. clone was a thing that was happening, and we also got it's name: Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, but it wasn't until we got screenshots that I started getting a little angry. Blatent rip-offs are always disappointing, and even moreso when it's a rip-off of one of the most popular and most beloved of Nintendo's franchises. Not only does All-Stars Battle Royale feature a whole host of 'classic' Playstation-exclusive characters, but it's also a 2D fighting game, with an interface VERY reminiscent of Super Smash Bros'. It fills me with sadness in a very real way, though it will be, admittedly, pretty cool to see Kratos kicking the shit out of Parappa The Rappa. The game doesn't look like it has anywhere near the same production values as Nintendo's original, kinda looks like a cheap cash-in to me, but we won't know for sure for a little while.

If Super Smash Bros. were a Playstation 1 game it may look like this

Mass Effect On PS3 Now Letting You Take Part In Events

The multiplayer in Mass Effect 3 is, aruably, the best thing about it, so it's good to hear that Playstation owners now get to take part in Bioware's weekend events. The events tend to last the weekend and let players earn cool loot and prizes for taking part (and sometimes everybody who plays the game will get a prize, whether they take part or not). The events are awesome, and the multiplayer addictive, so Playstation owners beware! It may just grab you!

Play as a motherfucking KROGAN!

And finally... Bargain!

Civilization 5 - £4.99!!!

Civilization V is so ridiculously good it's not even funny. Even if your PC can't run it, just buy the fucker... just in case.