Saturday
Jan262013

THQ Auction All Of Its Properties, But Who Got What?

I realise this is days old news right now, but I've had a fucked up few days, so I'm just now getting round to writing about, at 5am on a saturday morning. You can't beat accurate reporting like this!

THQ, everybody's favourite maker of those awesome N64 wrestling games from back in the day (and other stuff, ofcourse) had been in financial difficulties for a while, but it all came to a head recently when  the company ran out of money. It was forced to sell off all of its franchises in order to pony up some dough for debts and such, and some interesting companies bought some interesting game licenses:

  • Sega buys Relic and Company of Heroes - $26M
  • Ubisoft buys THQ Montreal and South Park: The Stick of Truth - $5.7M
    Interestingly, Patrice Desilets, former creative director for the Assassin's Creed series, left Ubisoft for THQ Monstreal to pursue new challenges... But now finds himself right back where he started. Awkward.
  • Koch Media acquired Volition, Saints Row and Metro - $29.1M
    Koch Media are best known for Dead Island
  • Crytek acquired Homefront - $500K
    Your guess why is as good as mine
  • Take Two acquires Evolve, which is in development at Turtle Rock - $11M
Not all of THQ's teams and games got bought, so far the big stuff still left to go is:
  • Vigil Games - Makers Of Darksiders
  • Darksiders
  • Red Faction
  • Warhammer 40,000
  • de Blob
  • Destroy All Humans
I think some of these are good fits, Sega getting Company Of Heroes makes sense, seeing as the Total War games do very well for them and they're in similar veins. I kinda like the idea of the Dead Island guys being in charge of Saints Row, Dead Island wasn't exactly a serious game when it got down to it, so they'll probably be able to agree on the right tone for the series.

Nobody got Darksiders. That's not gonna take long to get swept up!